Root and Install Custom ROM on HTC Desire HD
So maybe you've decided it's time to run a custom ROM on your Android phone? Well, it might be a really good decision! Here's a tutorial on how to make the process a bit easier.
First of all, rooting your phone is much easier today than it was. Seriously. In theory, you just have to grab the latest AAHK (Advanced Ace Hack Kit), make sure you meet the requirements and press Go. Now this absolutely might work for some, but for many of us it will not. Before you proceed, also know that rooting your phone will void its warranty. If you're lucky that won't matter if the phone must go on service, but if you're unlucky, you're stranded.
Now, onwards. Here's what you should do if you want to root your phone and install a custom ROM!
Prepare your phone
First, plugin your phone to your computer's USB:
- Make sure the mode is set to Charge only.
- Also, you need to turn on USB debugging:
Menu -> Settings ->Applications -> Development -> Check USB Debugging
It also helps having a brand new micro SD card. There's been problems with well used micro SD cards and AAHK, but it's not entirely sure you'll have problems with your SD card. Just follow the instructions below and let's see what happens for you. Also, have a look at the Problem solving section below.
Download and run AAHK
- Download the latest AAHK, unzip.
- Run hack-ace.cmd (as Administrator if you're in Windows).
Also, read effen-manual.html (it's located in the root).
- You will be asked for the pass key. Take a look in the file /tools/txt/CAJUN.TXT and copy the contents of that file to the command prompt.
- Now you should see this screen:
- The toggle flash method should be hbootPD98IMG. If it isn't, press 't' and then enter.
- Now it's time for the fun! Choose 1 Hack Ace and enter. Watch the magic happen :-) This will take a while, probably 5-10 minutes.
Download and Install Custom ROM
After the rooting is complete, you should now have a fully working rooted Android phone. Next it's time to install a custom ROM. This is easy.
Download ROM Manager from Play Store. Open the app and choose Flash ClockworkMod Recovery the first thing you do.
Now you can choose to either do this the easiest way or the manual way. The easiest way includes buying ROM Manager Premium and letting it download and install everything you need. The manual way is cheaper and works well too.
The ROM Manager Premium way:
- In ROM Manager, choose Download ROM and find your ROM of choice.
- Make sure you tick Backup Existing ROM, Wipe Data and Cache, Wipe Dalvik Cache and proceed.
- Watch and enjoy. The process will take a while and once it's done you should run your custom ROM of choice!
The manual way:
- Figure out which custom ROM you want, there's a great list of custom ROMs for Desire HD here. Download.
- Rename the downloaded file's name to update.zip and place it in the root of your SD card.
- In ROM Manager, choose Install ROM from SD Card, tap update.zip.
Make sure you tick Backup Existing ROM, Wipe Data and Cache, Wipe Dalvik Cache and proceed.
- Let the phone work for a while and then you'll have the custom ROM installed!
When AAHK does its magic, it might get stuck. You might encounter error messages like:
/sdcard/PD98IMG.zip no such file or directory
and similar. That should be nothing to worry about. AAHK has its own PD98IMG.zip and everything will be fine.
However you might have to wait a while for the "sending zip" process to complete. If it doesn't within a couple of minutes, you have to try three things:
- First, make sure you set flash method to hbootPD98img
- Try another USB port or USB cable
- If that didn't work, buy a new micro SD card
And restart the process from step 2.