Service Unavailable after Windows 10 Update
After updating to Windows 10 Fall Creators update, we encountered the Service Unavailable 503 message on our IIS websites.
The error looks like this:
The worker process for application pool 'APP_POOL_NAME' encountered an error
'Cannot read configuration file ' trying to read configuration data from file '\?\',
line number '0'. The data field contains the error code.
A solution that worked, is this:
- Stop the IIS - run iisreset /stop command in your command prompt.
- Remove everything in the c:/inetpub/temp/apppools folder. If you can't, look below for a few PowerShell commands you need to run.
- Start the IIS - run iisrest /start command in your command prompt.
- Make sure all your IIS app pools are running.
If you can't remove the files in the apppools folder, use Windows PowerShell to stop two services:
- Stop-Service -Force WAS.
- Stop-Service W3SVC.
- Remove apppols folder files.
- Run Start-Service W3SVC.